|previous article in this issue||next article in this issue|
Document Details :
Title: Inventory of the Moveable Property of the Askhenazi Community of Amsterdam, 1788
Author(s): ZWIERS, Ariane
Journal: Studia Rosenthaliana
Volume: 37 Date: 2004
It was in the mid-17th century that Ashkenazi Jews, mostly from German and Polish regions, first formed communities in Amsterdam. In 1673 they combined forces to form a single united community, the so-called Hoogduitse community. In 1788 the shammes of the community, Chaim Kouweren, compiled an inventory, or pinkas, of the contents of the city’s principal Ashkenazi synagogues (fig. 1). The items listed include both ceremonial and utilitarian objects, as well as books. The original manuscript is kept at the municipal archive in Amsterdam (Gemeentearchief Amsterdam), which holds the Ashkenazi community’s archive.