PEETERS ONLINE JOURNALS
Peeters Online Bibliographies
Peeters Publishers
this issue
  previous article in this issuenext article in this issue  

Document Details :

Title: Les Yešibhot ḥokhmot ḥiṣoniyot et leurs élèves
Author(s): SIRAT, Colette , ZUCKER, Shlomo
Journal: Revue des Études Juives
Volume: 177    Issue: 3-4   Date: juillet-décembre 2018   
Pages: 353-390
DOI: 10.2143/REJ.177.3.3285577

Abstract :
À partir de l’époque des Ge’onim, le mot de yešibha a désigné un lieu d’enseignement de la littérature rabbinique; l’institution s’est répandue dans les communautés entre le Xe et le XIIIe siècle. Dès le XIIe siècle, cependant, et plus encore après la traduction en hébreu du Guide des égarés et du fait d’un grand mouvement de diffusion du savoir scientifique, le terme a pu désigner aussi un lieu d’enseignement régulier aux jeunes gens en philosophie et en science, sans le caractère associatif et pérenne des facultés des arts de l’université chrétienne. Aux témoignages narratifs sur ce point s’ajoute celui de manuscrits, recueils d’introduction aux sciences ou d’ouvrages des grands auteurs, dont les copistes se présentent comme des étudiants, nommant parfois leurs maîtres, ou qui portent des gloses de mains diverses révélant un usage collectif. Cet article détaille les indices fournis par ces manuscrits, dresse une liste de vingt d’entre eux et présente, édite et traduit en annexe l’introduction versifiée à un traité philosophique, écrite sans doute par un élève d’Abraham Bibago (Aragon, XVe s.) et faisant référence à un épisode de la vie de sa yešibha, d’après le ms. Paris, BNF, hébreu 1004.



During the Ge’onic period, places for the learning of rabbinic literature began to be called yešibhot and this type of school spread in the Jewish world between the 10th and the 13th century. However, from the 12th century on, and all the more so once the Guide of the Perplexed had been translated into Hebrew and a large trend toward the popularisation of science had begun, the term yešibha could also refer to places for the regular learning of philosophy and the sciences, though these places were not as large and solid institutions as the Christian faculties of arts. We possess about them a few written accounts as well as manuscripts containing scientific texts, written by students who sometimes let know who their teachers were, or bearing glosses by several hands, bringing the evidence for a collective use of the manuscripts. This article comments on these pieces of evidence and supplies a list of twenty such manuscripts. In an appendix, the verse introduction to a scientific tract, probably written by a student of Abraham Bibago (Aragon, 15th cent.) and relating an event in the yešibha life, is introduced, edited and translated from ms. Paris, BNF, hébreu 1004.

download article




3.227.249.234.