this issue
previous article in this issuenext article in this issue

Document Details :

Title: Elijah's Cave on Mt. Carmel
Subtitle: Context and Function
Author(s): OVADIAH, Asher
Journal: Revue Biblique
Volume: 118    Issue: 1   Date: 2011   
Pages: 109-115
DOI: 10.2143/RBI.118.1.3206332

Abstract :
The Prophet Elijah’s Cave on the western slope of Mt. Carmel appears primarily to have been a natural cave and over the course of time it was elaborated, enlarged and adapted for religious purposes. The earliest written testimony of the cave is that of Benjamin of Tudela, who visited the Land of Israel in 1165. Circumstantial evidence permits to presume that Elijah’s Cave was used as a cultic place or shrine to Ba'al Carmel, perhaps since the Hellenistic period and onwards.



La grotte d’Élie, sur le flanc ouest du mont Carmel, semble avoir été tout d’abord une grotte naturelle qui, au fil des siècles, a été aménagée, agrandie, et adaptée à des usages religieux. Le plus ancien témoignage écrit sur la grotte est celui de Benjamin de Tolède, qui visita le pays en 1165. Divers indices indiquent que la grotte d’Élie a été utilisée comme lieu de culte pour Ba'al Carmel – et ce depuis la période hellénistique.

Download article


3.237.16.210.