|previous article in this issue||next article in this issue|
Document Details :
Title: The Two Synagogues of Medieval Marseille
Subtitle: Documentary Evidence
Author(s): SMAIL, Daniel Lord
Journal: Revue des Études Juives
Volume: 154 Issue: 1-2 Date: janvier-juin 1995
On the basis of a newly uncovered document from 1353, this article argues that medieval Marseille's Jewish communities possessed only two synagogues, not the three that modern scholarship has assumed. The document, viewed in the context of other fourteenth-century sources, also helps clarify the location of both of medieval Marseille's Jewish quarters: the Jusataria of the upper city was located at some distance from the Jusataria of the lower city, not close at hand, as others have argued. In addition to discussing the document itself, the article reviews the scholarship on both these questions and identifies numerous other documents relevant to the history of medieval Marseille's Jewish communities. A transcription of the document (in Latin) is provided, along with two maps.